Fun Facts About St. Patrick and Ireland
- St. Patrick wasn’t Irish and he wasn’t born in Ireland. His parents were Roman citizens living in modern-day England.
- The Harp (not the Shamrock) has been a symbol of Ireland since the medieval period.
The Shamrock was a symbol St. Patrick used to preach about faith, hope and love.
- At the age of 16, Patrick was kidnapped by Irish raiders and sold as a slave. Patrick managed to escape and make his way to a monastery in England at age 22.
- Patrick’s color is BLUE, not GREEN!
- March 17th is when St. Patrick died.