February is traditionally the LOVE month, so here are some random love facts (or myths) that might surprise you:
- People are more likely to tilt their heads to the right when kissing instead of the left (65% of people go to the right!).
- Falling in love can induce a calming effect on the body and mind and raises levels of nerve-growth factor for about a year, which helps to restore the nervous system and improves the lover’s memory.
- Love can also exert the same stress on your body as deep fear. You see the same physiological responses – pupil dilation, sweaty palms and increased heart rate.
- The tradition of the diamond engagement ring comes from Archduke Maximilian of Austria who, in the 15th century, gave a diamond ring to his fiancée, Mary of Burgundy.
- People who are newly in love produce decreased levels of the hormone serotonin – as low as levels seen in people with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Perhaps that’s why it’s so easy to feel obsessed when you’re smitten.